Hair fall is a complex & diverse problem. It is among the commonest reasons for which patient consult a dermatologist.
Before we dive deeper into hair fall, let’s know few basic things.
- On normal scalp, hairs are in a cycle.
With 90% hairs in Anagen Phase, meaning they are thick, actively growing & have tight root anchorage.
About 10% hairs are in Telogen Phase, meaning they are thin, not growing & have loose root.
- This Anagen: Telogen ratio of 9:1 , alters in different disorders.
- Anagen duration range from 8-9 years and telogen lasts for 3 months.
- Around 100 telogen hairs are normally shed daily, to be replaced by anagen hairs.
So, The hair fall or alopecias are divided into those with destruction of hair root (scarring) & those in intact hair roots (Non-scarring).
- Scarring alopecia can be stopped to progress if diagnosed & treated in time. But are hard to reverse.
E.g of Scarring alopecia: Kerion, DLE, LPP, Folliculitis Decalvans
- Non Scarring alopecia can be reversed in most of cases if diagnosed & treated properly.
E.g : Androgenetic Alopecia (male & female pattern Baldness)
What is new?
- PRP (Platlet Rich Plasma) : fraction of patient’s own blood rich in platlet is separated & injected into scalp for hair growth.
- Mesotherapy : Intralesional injection of meso cocktails (injections containing multivitamins & phytoceuticals)
- LLLT: Low level laser therapy